By: Krista Mcfadden
Why You Should List Now- Rather Than Waiting For Spring/Summer
Tags: Ottawa Listing, Ottawa Winter, Winter Home Sales, Ottawa Real Estate, Ottawa Realtor
Typically spring is the popular time to list your home. Especially for people who live in colder climates, such as ourselves. But believe it or not, there are actually a lot of benefits to selling your home in the winter.
1) For starters, just because you put your home on the market in January of February, it doesn't mean that it needs to close then too. When you list your home, you have the option to put your preferred closing date, so you could sell now, and still move in the spring.
2) Similar to how a quick interior paint job is a fairly cheap fix that can really increase a homes potential for buyers, snow can kind of do the same thing for a homes exterior. Of course it can't hide serious structural issues or cracks in the foundation, but in the winter your don't need to worry about your lawn or your garden adding or taking away from your homes curb appeal.
3) Another reason to list your home in the winter is because there's typically less competition, therefore making it easier for your home to stand out.
4) Typically people don't make the decision that they want to buy and then the next week they've already purchased a home, usually it's a process which can take at least a few months. Which means that everyone who is hoping to move in the spring is probably already looking in the winter. Come spring time, your home has already had so much more exposure than others that were just listed.
5) Wether you're a winter lover, or winter hater, there's no denying that everything sort of slows down when it's cold outside. Kids are at school all day unlike during the summer, winter activities can be few and far between if it gets too cold, and the days get shorter with the lack of sunlight. So all this to say, why not spend your downtime time selling your home so that come summer, when things ramp up again, you can enjoy your new one!